Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Another Delicious Recipe

A friend of mine asked me for this recipe today and since I had already typed it up I decided I would post it here too. It is my dad's recipe and is especially good this time of year as the leaves start to change:

Italian Black Bean Chili
by Leonard Nevin

  • 1/2 lb Italian sausage
  • 2 cans black beans (15 oz)
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth (or beef bouillon)
  • 1 can (8 oz) tomato soup
  • 1 cup very thinly sliced carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (cook with meat)
  • 2 bay leaves

In 4 qt saucepan, cook sausage until browned; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes*. Remove bay leaves. Use a potato masher to mash carrots and beans slightly. Soup will thicken while mashing beans. (approx. 9 servings)

Variations:
  • 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
  • cook 1/2 lb hamburger along with the sausage
  • substitute 1 can red kidney beans or small red beans for 1 can of the black beans
  • add 1 can of re-fried black beans or regular re-fried beans to thicken
  • add any type of pepper that you like to make spicier
*If you add peppers, extra onions, or anything else vegetable-like it will probably increase the simmer time unless you partially cook them before adding.

1 comment:

Davenport Family said...

Thanks for the recipe! I have been trying to find new things to make so I am glad you have been posting things! I can't wait to try this one, sounds yummy!